Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Origami Interlude: Masu Boxes

In preparation for the knit-one-one holiday craft sale this weekend, I took stock of all of my craft sale odds and ends and found that I was low on jewelry gift boxes. As an origami nut, I felt that I should really start folding my own gift boxes instead of purchasing them. I originally envisioned folding Tokomo Fusé's hexagonal modular Fabulous Origami Boxes, but as pretty as these boxes are, they're a little too time-consuming to piece together and not always sturdy enough to withstand the hustle and bustle of a busy shopping bag. So I turned instead to the classic Masu box:
 
The bottoms of these boxes are folded out of cardstock using the traditional pattern, while I used a variety of decorative washi, foil, and scrapbooking papers for the tops. After some tinkering and testing, I reinforced both parts of the boxes with an additional layer of cardstock for extra stability. 
These boxes are so quick and easy to make. Before I knew it, I was completely hooked.
Did I mention that I really like to collect washi
Yep, I'm definitely hooked...
Every purchase from my booth at the craft show this weekend will be packaged up in one of these spiffy gift boxes. The show is on Saturday, December 11, from 10 AM to 4 PM at the knit-one-one studio in Berkeley, CA. Check out the knit-one-one blog for more information. I hope to see you there!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't come due to the distance! But I love those boxes. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kokopelli! I don't do as much origami as I used to, but I still seem to collect washi paper, so it's nice to have found a way to use it so that others can enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love masu boxes too. My favorite is the blue one in the second photo! I've tried several other designs, but this one is still my favorite. If you ever make it down to visit, I'll show you how to make a deeper bottom half that still uses a masu for the top.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...